Figuring Out Buyer Behavior No. 2
Interviewed:
Alison Reed
(25 years old, International
Business student, Female, American)
Sergio Marquez
(22 years old, Finance
student, Male, Colombian)
Sandra MartÃnez
(21 years old, Nursing
student, Female, American/Venezuelan)
Do
you like to buy online or in a store?
Alison:
In store
Sergio:
In store but would like to buy online.
Sandra:
Online
Are
they more likely to use cash or will they finance the purchase?
Alison:
Credit or debit card
Sergio:
Credit card
Sandra:
Debit card, gift card, contactless
What
supermarket do they do their shopping in?
Alison:
Walmart & Publix
Sergio:
Walmart & Aldi’s
Sandra:
Publix
What’s
the most important thing to consider when buying products?
Alison:
That they have the product I need. Price, quality, flavor.
Sergio:
Price and how much product it contains.
Sandra:
Quality, nutritional value, flavor, if I need it, if I like it.
Does
packaging influence your decision?
Alison:
Sometimes.
Sergio:
Not really, I buy value brands if they are cheaper.
Sandra:
Not unless it’s a special edition (like Coca Cola or Campbells).
Do
you usually buy value brands, off-brand, or products with no brands?
Alison:
Yes, I don’t care if it’s the product I like.
Sergio:
All the time.
Sandra:
If it tastes better or the same.
Would
you buy something you’ve never tried before if a friend recommended it?
Alison:
If they thought I’d like it (like chocolates, or a new flavor of
cereal) sure!
Sergio:
Yeah, I don’t mind.
Sandra:
I am picky with what I know I like. I’d try it, but I wouldn’t
buy it without trying.
Alternative Evaluation:
Toothpaste
Colgate
/ Sensodine
Alison: Sensodine
Sergio: Colgate
Sandra: Colgate
Chips
Lays
/ Cheetos
Alison: Cheetos
Sergio: Cheetos
Sandra: Lays
Detergent
Tide
/ Arm&Hammer
Alison:
Tide
Sergio:
Tide
Sandra:
Arm&Hammer
Greek
Yogurt
Danone
/ Chobani
Alison:
Danone
Sergio:
Either
Sandra:
Chobani
Shampoo
Herbal
Essences / OGX
Alison:
Herbal Essences
Sergio:
---
Sandra:
OGX
Findings: Sandra seems to go towards the product of
more “quality” despite of price, always. Sergio responded with a shrug to all
the options, he usually buys great value or brandless products. He only seemed
to care about Cheetos, because he loves Cheetos Flaming Hot, so he makes that
choice based on taste of the product. Alison gave it a bit more of thought in
each category, and this tells me she actually pays attention to what she’s
buying.
What
matters most to you when you think back on the 'rightness' of the purchase?
Alison:
If I got good value for my money, not spending on things I don’t
need, being able to return in case something doesn’t fit or I don’t like.
Sergio:
Having stayed on budget, that the food lasts enough time, that I
didn’t make impulse buys.
Sandra:
If I like it and I’m going to use it often, if I could’ve found
the same product somewhere else but cheaper.
What
helps you determine the purchase was a good idea?
Alison:
If I enjoy it and it lasts me a long time.
Sergio:
If it was a bargain, if I will use it often, if it makes my life
easier or more fun somehow.
Sandra:
If what I buy I truly wanted and I’m going to enjoy using it, if
it makes me want to buy it again.
What
sorts of things makes you think a purchase was a bad idea?
Alison:
When a product is not of a good quality, if it breaks or spoils
easily, if it was too pricy for what it was.
Sergio:
When I find the same product cheaper somewhere else, when it
comes with too much product and it spoils, when I spend money I don’t have in
something I don’t need.
Sandra:
When something doesn’t fit me as I would like, or when I buy
something because everyone else has it even though I don’t really want it.
Summary:
The interviews went well. I wanted to focus on
grocery shopping items, but sometimes the answers diverted to things like
clothes or accessories or even cars, I think, because the questions were a
little bit general. I think all the interviewed care a lot about value, good
quality for a good price. They care about competitive prices, they are loyal to
brands they know and care about, but they are willing to try others if they
offer the same or similar product at a better value. Sergio cares a lot about
value because he can’t spend much money on groceries, while Sandra cares more
about quality. Alison weighs both against nutritional value, quantity and how
much product they can purchase for the same amount of money. Most of them
prefer online shopping but bother to go to the store when they can’t, and they
all rather pay by card, they don’t carry cash anymore. They all seem satisfied
with their shopping if they are acquiring something, they are familiar with.
They would feel dissatisfied if the quality wasn’t as promised, or if they had
spent money unnecessarily.
Conclusion:
From the answers I gathered, I believe people
already know what they want to buy, especially when it comes to groceries or
daily-life products. They don’t give it a lot of thought, and they care more
when it’s a large sum of money to spend (like on clothes, electronics or a car,
for example). They rarely compare brands, and they usually buy what they know
they like, what they have tried before, or what they have been purchasing since
they lived with their parents. The would be willing to try new things if
offered a significantly better value for their money, while maintaining the
quality. Money seems to be a defining factor, they are alright with the idea of
buying off-brand or value items as long as they do not decay in value. Purchase
decision in this segment is more random, and doesn’t mean a great deal, hence,
there isn’t really a heavy impact on their post-purchase feeling as long as
there isn’t something terribly wrong with the product, or they got something
they didn’t really need for a big sum. Overall, college students appreciate
familiarity, value (quantity and quality for a good price) and commodity to
purchase their groceries.
David,
ReplyDeleteI can see that the interviews gave a pretty interesting perspective on things when it comes to products. I agree with the statement you provided that most people don't give it much thought when it comes to an everyday product such as groceries because you usually know what to get and the best kind of deal to go for it. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and insights and great post!