What’s Your Secret Sauce?
·
Describe five ways in which you think you have human capital
that is truly unique. What is it about you, exactly, that makes you different?
Write this up in a detailed list.
1. I have had great experiences
while traveling and living in different countries. I believe this has given me
really good insight on how people live in different places, their values, what
they care about, their traditions, and this has given me a good understanding
on how much a place can shape a person’s point of view and entire life. It has
also made me more aware of my privilege and makes me want to give back to
society and help those who are not as fortunate. It also helps me understand a
broader audience in terms of cultures and customs.
2. I am empathetic. I try to
put myself in the place of others and see things in their perspective. I feel
it’s important to understand how others see the world to have a better view of
things, instead of just focusing on your perspective.
3. I truly care about people. I
try to help whenever I can. I am very sociable, and I like being surrounded by
people, talking to them, getting to know them. I feel I am someone who gives
good advice, someone they can rely on and trust.
4. I am a great leader and I
can accept mistakes. I feel it’s really important to own your mistakes in order
to learn from them. I am not afraid to acknowledge when I’m wrong and
apologize, I don’t care about being right as much as I care about things being
done right. I feel that I’m able to inspire people and have their backs, which
is why they trust me to make the right choices and represent them.
5. I never give up and I’m
optimistic. No matter how things are, I always find a way to achieve what I set
myself into getting. I use my social skills to find ways around red-tape and
problems. I also try to look at life with a positive view, try not to worry too
much about things I can’t control, and have a positive attitude about things I
can.
·
Interview the five people who know you the best. Ask them what they
think makes you different
-- remember, focus on your knowledge, skills, abilities, emotions -- in other
words, your human capital. Try to stay away from discussing your other types of
capital (such as who you know). Record each interview. In your post,
please post each interview, as well as a two-three sentence summary of each
interview, explaining what your key takeaways are. There is no time limit on these
recordings. As long as you cover the information asked for above, that's all
you need to do.
My mom mentioned that I was very responsible and sociable, that I like talking to people and helping them, and that I am a little emotional. She mentioned I am good at organizing events.
My sister mentioned that I am good at business, organizing and planning events. She also said I am good at staying focused, managing people, and being social. She emphasized I have a lot of drive and I have a very chill and have a good perspective and optimism about life.
· Reflect on the
differences. How do you see yourself, and how do others see you? Are there
differences in how you assess yourself compared to others? What do you think
causes these differences? Do you think your interviewees are correct about you?
Finally, going back to your list from part 1, would you make any corrections to
the list? How?
I think my family, who are the people who love me and know
me the most, agree that I am someone who cares about others and tries to help,
they also agree with me that I am sociable and a good leader, and that I focus
on getting things done and achieve the best outcome. I didn’t notice many
differences, my family agrees that moving to Florida and living alone has
helped me understand the world better and become more responsible, I feel that
maybe my own perception of myself has been shaped on the way they see me and
what they say about me in the past, which is why I feel is pretty accurate. I
wouldn’t make many corrections, I really liked when my sister mentioned I had drive
and she admired that, I feel that I could capitalize that skill in the future. I
really like knowing that people can see these good attributes about me, because
it means I am doing a good job at it.
Hey David great post. I too believe that family is the most important thing above all. They are the ones who are there for you when you are down and struggling. I find it very admiring that you decided to move to Florida to pursue your career despite your family not being there. I too left home but my family is only a 6 hour drive away.
ReplyDeleteHey David,
ReplyDeleteBased off the interviews that you provided with your mom and sister it can be seen that they agree with who you see yourself as. Your family is the best indicator to see what your skill sets are and what you need work on. I also like how your sister described you to be a business kind of person because that is pretty cool. Great job and thank you for sharing!